In the video game Tingle's Love Balloon Trip, whose plot is a parody of The Wizard of Oz, there is a scene in which Kakashi, the scarecrow boy, says goodbye to a friend. The following dialog takes place between Kakashi and his friend:

Kakashi: ぼく そろそろ いくね。

K's friend: むう、 たびだつんか。ちょっぴり さみしいのぅ ・・・。

Kakashi: また あえるよ ! だって ぼく ワラだもん !!

K's friend: ? そ、 そうか ・・・たっしゃでな、 カカシくん。

As far as I understand, Kakashi's second line means, "We can meet again! After all, I'm (made of) straw!!" Of course, Kakashi is actually made of straw, being a scarecrow. But taken literally this doesn't make much sense - how is that going to help him meet his friend again?

Maybe it has something to with the ワラ reading of the Kanji 笑, referring to laughter?

I guess this is some sort of wordplay, but what does it mean?

closed as unclear what you're asking by snailcar Mar 1 '15 at 8:48

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

お友達も、カカシのジョークの意味がわからず、困惑しているようです(? そ、そうか…)。多分、意図的な「ジョークのようで、意味が分からない文」なんだと思います。敢えてジョークに分類するならすべり芸の一種かも。 – naruto Oct 11 '14 at 23:54
  • I guess Kakashi said I am around every corner because I am straw. Absolutely it's my guess. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 12 '14 at 1:05
  • "The cheerful scarecrow is mentally lacking and is in search for intelligence." Also, perhaps an obscure reference to 座敷童子 (ざしきわらし) 「旧家に時折現れるといわれる家の守り神」 Well, probably not, I guess... (The scarecrow in Zelda Oot appears throughout Hyrule, perhaps also a reference to this...) – blutorange Oct 12 '14 at 5:44
    I give it some thought everytime this thread gets bumped to the top, but I still do not think this is a joke or wordplay. It is not funny at all (and I am a Japanese speaker). – l'électeur Feb 26 '15 at 13:09
  • @l'électeur I guess you're right. I assumed it was a joke because the setup/timing of the scene seemed comical, but I may have been wrong. – waldrumpus Feb 27 '15 at 9:03

I think what Kakashi meant was that since he is made of straw, he can be found anywhere, thus they will meet one way or the other.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.