In the video game Tingle's Love Balloon Trip, whose plot is a parody of The Wizard of Oz, there is a scene in which Kakashi, the scarecrow boy, says goodbye to a friend. The following dialog takes place between Kakashi and his friend:

Kakashi: ぼく そろそろ いくね。

K's friend: むう、 たびだつんか。ちょっぴり さみしいのぅ ・・・。

Kakashi: また あえるよ ! だって ぼく ワラだもん !!

K's friend: ? そ、 そうか ・・・たっしゃでな、 カカシくん。

As far as I understand, Kakashi's second line means, "We can meet again! After all, I'm (made of) straw!!" Of course, Kakashi is actually made of straw, being a scarecrow. But taken literally this doesn't make much sense - how is that going to help him meet his friend again?

Maybe it has something to with the ワラ reading of the Kanji 笑, referring to laughter?

I guess this is some sort of wordplay, but what does it mean?

お友達も、カカシのジョークの意味がわからず、困惑しているようです(? そ、そうか…)。多分、意図的な「ジョークのようで、意味が分からない文」なんだと思います。敢えてジョークに分類するならすべり芸の一種かも。 – naruto Oct 11 '14 at 23:54
  • I guess Kakashi said I am around every corner because I am straw. Absolutely it's my guess. – Yuuichi Tam Oct 12 '14 at 1:05
  • "The cheerful scarecrow is mentally lacking and is in search for intelligence." Also, perhaps an obscure reference to 座敷童子 (ざしきわらし) 「旧家に時折現れるといわれる家の守り神」 Well, probably not, I guess... (The scarecrow in Zelda Oot appears throughout Hyrule, perhaps also a reference to this...) – blutorange Oct 12 '14 at 5:44
    I give it some thought everytime this thread gets bumped to the top, but I still do not think this is a joke or wordplay. It is not funny at all (and I am a Japanese speaker). – l'électeur Feb 26 '15 at 13:09
  • @l'électeur I guess you're right. I assumed it was a joke because the setup/timing of the scene seemed comical, but I may have been wrong. – waldrumpus Feb 27 '15 at 9:03

I think what Kakashi meant was that since he is made of straw, he can be found anywhere, thus they will meet one way or the other.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.