One of my Japanese senseis corrected my homework, and several times she drew a triangle next to the item she was correcting. Does this have a special meaning in Japan?

picture of triangle symbol 1

picture of triangle symbol 2

marked as duplicate by Flaw Aug 22 '16 at 15:45

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

In Japan, it usually means "Not correct but not completely incorrect".

○ = Correct

× = Incorrect

The symbols are read, respectively, まる、さんかく and ばつ.

• Is it always used for in-between correct/incorrect situations, or is it ever used for non-confrontationally saying "wrong"? – coburne Oct 10 '14 at 14:15
    Hence Japanese Playstation games using Circle for Yes and X for no, unlike US/European games. That was the original intent behind the design of those symbols. – Almo Oct 10 '14 at 14:50
    @coburne: In the role of a teacher, there is no need to avoid confronting a student with a mistake. I've usually seen △ to explain "You may see native speakers use this, but it's technically incorrect". – jkerian Feb 17 '15 at 5:25
  • What does it mean if the triangle is followed by a number? I have some technical documentation that is full of triangles followed by a number. Example: "When result attribute value is 98, this element is always empty. △2". Example: "Sets cash in information and cash out information after the normal finish of deposit transaction. △1". – dan-gph Sep 4 '17 at 6:24
  • To answer my question, the △ in the document I am looking at appears to refer to a document revision number, so it must be the Greek letter Delta, standing for "difference", and it has nothing to do with Japanese at all. – dan-gph Oct 16 '17 at 5:29

△ means " almost" or "close" in Japan. 惜しい、もう少しで正解 in Japanese.

Δ is the greek letter for delta. The upper-case letter Δ can be used to denote a change of any changeable quantity. This means the answer is WRONG and needs to be changed.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.