What does 「予定調和」 mean? Not that stuff about Leibniz, but in daily chatter.

Why do you expect 予定調和 to be used in daily chatter? – Earthliŋ Oct 5 '14 at 20:41
    Are you referring to sense 2 here? dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/228010/m0u – snailplane Oct 6 '14 at 0:35
    @snailboat I would think so. I have noticed this phrase coming up far more often in Japanese media than I would expect the phrase "pre-established harmony" (its EDICT translation) to occur in English media. It feels like either: it is more familiar a concept to Japanese audiences; or they use a complex term with a more basic meaning, where we might use a simpler phrase. – Hyperworm Oct 6 '14 at 10:57
    From a visual novel, when talking about how nothing unexpected can happen when playing with dolls because you control everything: 「人の世において、予定調和ほど退屈なものはない。だから、ぬいぐるみは世界で一番のお友達でありながらも、いつかは飽き、卒業する...」 Maybe in English we'd just say "Nothing in the human world is as boring as the status quo"? "as everything going according to plan"? Referencing the term "pre-established harmony" seems to me like something an English writer wouldn't do very often. – Hyperworm Oct 6 '14 at 11:04

I think very few Japanese people recognize that 予定調和 is from Leibniz (I didn't know that). When this appears in daily conversations, it means "safe but expected result", "without surprise/trouble", "never changing", "repeated many times", "according to the scenario", etc.

Typically this is used for long-running TV series like サザエさん, where characters never get old for decades.

It may have some negative nuance. If you see 「国際会議は予定調和で終わった」 in a newspaper, it probably implies the meeting was boring and unimportant.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.