After a trip to Japan, I got a slip stapled to my passport, the first bullet point of which reads:

活字体で記入して下さい。黒色又は青色のペンで記入してください

"Please type or print clearly. Write by using black or blue pen."

I have already read through this question on using 下さい vs ください, but the answers emphasize using the two as differences between objects/actions, て-form/other forms, and personal preference. Here, these are both actions, both て-forms, and both written on the same sheet, so personal preference is not a factor.

Given the English translation above (provided on the same stapled slip), I speculate that it might be a politeness indicator, more of a soft request to print neatly, whereas the second request is more firm and required. (But that's just a guess of my own.)

What is the purpose for using the kanji and non-kanji forms of ください in this sentence, given that they both follow 「~で記入して」?

• I think this question is related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/15376/… – Szymon Oct 2 '14 at 0:00
  • @Szymon Yeah, I saw that question, but it is slightly different since, in this case, ください is written on a professional document rather than in more liberal prose. – Eric Oct 2 '14 at 0:28

I think many people use the two forms freely without a difference in meaning, and I think your sentence is actually a good illustration that this is true. I don't think there's any detectable difference in meaning between 記入してください and 記入して下さい in your example. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever wrote it didn't even notice they were writing it two different ways!

Although both forms are widely used, writing it in kana is more common. If I search the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese (BCCWJ), I find the following:

してください    10072 results ← 4x more common
  して下さい     2408 results

Of course, I haven't looked through all of these results to find out how they're used, so take the numbers with a grain of salt, but I think most of the results are probably applicable here.

It was only in 1973 (昭和48年) when the Ministry of Education made it "official" to use 下さい for a main verb and use ください for a subsidiary verb. Before that, the same Ministry had been telling teachers to use ください in all cases. Thus, we are still in a period of confusion regarding the matter. Regardless, using both forms in such a short context as in OP's example is in bad taste when both are used as a subsidiary verb. – l'électeur Oct 2 '14 at 0:01
  • Also, a lot of Japanese is written on a PC with an IME these days, so it might even not have been a conscious decision to use kanji only in the first sentence. That it did not get corrected might hint at people not caring too much about this issue. – blutorange Oct 2 '14 at 6:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.