I few minutes ago on NHK news 「注目」 I've heard/saw the phrase 「やるっきゃない」. I have no idea what it means.. And what grammar rules are here?

3rd result on Google explains where the phrase comes from: detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1212799662 (It's a contraction of やるしかない: to have "no choice but to (just) do it". ) – Will Sep 30 '14 at 4:51
  • This word become obsolete. – Yuuichi Tam Sep 30 '14 at 5:58
    But it was used today on national TV.. – Ernestas Gruodis Sep 30 '14 at 6:01
    Because the woman who first made this word famous died today. She is 85 years old. This word became popular about 30 years ago. – Yuuichi Tam Sep 30 '14 at 6:13

っきゃ is an informal spoken contraction of しか, a particle. やるっきゃない means やるしかない.

The particle しか is always followed by a negative of some sort, either an explicit negative like ない or a predicate that is semantically negative such as だめだ or あるもんか.

Taken together, しか+ない means something like "only; nothing but". It commonly follows nouns, but it can follow other sorts of constituents as well. When it follows a verb, it means that the verb must be done or will unavoidably happen (= "there is no alternative to 〜"). Your example やるっきゃない means something like "have to do [it]".

Just want to add to this good answer that っきゃない is predominantly a Kantoism, meaning over 2/3 of the country would not use it much in natural settings. – l'électeur Sep 30 '14 at 5:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.