Let's say I want to call a policeman, or I am in a n-person conversation involving a policeman and I want a word to refer to the policeman. And let's say I want a respectful word.

I believe おまわりさん could sound a bit insulting (low rank).
Should I say 警察さん?
Is there a more respectful way to call a policeman, who actually might be an officer?

「警察さん」 sounds far more insulting than 「おまわりさん」. – l'électeur Sep 23 '14 at 12:36

I do not think there is anything insulting with お巡りさん: I've definitely heard it said to koban people to their face by people with no ill-intent.

But it's also a term that specifically refers to koban-type cops (literally means "person on the beat"). Perhaps not higher-up officers or detectives.

For something more formal and more respectful, how about: 警察官 (police officer)

There's also 警察の職員 (police personnel), but that's really generic and maybe not what you need in your context.

| improve this answer | |
    "刑事さん" is also OK if you know he is a detective (typically wearing a black suit and a tie, rather than the blue uniform). If you want to refer to the police officer in general but don't know the specific title, you can use "警察の方【かた】". – naruto Sep 24 '14 at 6:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.