What is the difference between 貸す and 貸し出す? Please explain it to me. Thank you!

類語例解辞典 says

[使い分け]
【1】「貸す」は、一般的に広く用いられる。
【2】「貸し出す」は、公共機関や店が、そこの所有物を一時的に、そこから持ち出すことを認める意。また、銀行などの金融機関では金銭についてもいう。

Namely, the difference is that 貸し出す is used when some sort of organization, store, or bank is doing the lending.

(If this is accurate, I don't think 貸す and 貸し出す are parallel to "lend" and "lend out" in English, where I think the only difference is "lend out" is more natural without an indirect object: ○ "He lent out the book last Monday", ? "He lent the book last Monday".)

• I never said "lend out" feels intransitive and I in fact quite disagree with that. Regarding habituality, "lend out" certainly works better because it doesn't require the indirect object and normally one doesn't lend habitually to the same person. But I still see no similarity between it and 貸し出す, as you can still say "I lend out books all the time". – Darius Jahandarie Sep 23 '14 at 16:32
  • Somehow I misread that part of your answer. – Tim Sep 24 '14 at 0:03

I think the meaning of 貸す is "lend". "貸し出す" have the image like bringing out the place where the thing is from. . For example, we don't say "図書館の本は貸し中です。" but say "図書館の本は、貸し出し中です。".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.