How do you say something like: "There are 8 days until I go on vacation"? I'm pretty much confused on the how to say "x days/hrs/weeks until blank".

誕生日まで(あと)8日です。
There are 8 (more) days until my birthday.

(Sidenote: 8日 can be pronounced 「ようか」 or 「はちにち」, though I think NHK recommends 「はちにち」 for time intervals like this.)

When referring to periods of time it is worth to use 間, so that you get 8日間 which is pronounced as ようかかん。Never heard anyone to say it はちにち by the way. – Rilakkuma Sep 15 '14 at 21:36
  • @Rilakkuma I think both appear with about equal frequency, because you can think of it as either an interval or an ordinal in this context. – virmaior Sep 16 '14 at 3:45
    間 is usually omitted in the "XまであとY日" expression ("XまであとY週間" is OK, though). I couldn't find anything authoritative about this, but ようか and はちにち here in this context does sound natural to me. – naruto Sep 17 '14 at 1:11

Not a direct translation, but you could say it like

今日の[8日後]{よう・か・ご}は旅行(の)スタート! → 8 days from today is the start of my vacation!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.