I cannot, for the love of my life, understand the difference between

• 下る{くだる}

• 下りる{おりる}

• 下がる{さがる}

Don't they all mean the same, basically? Is there a difference, and if yes, how could I proceed to get it?

Meaning differences are pretty large. Can you give us more hints as to why you imagine their meanings are similar? What context are you talking about for your proceeding? – virmaior Sep 13 '14 at 15:49

おりる and くだる both mean to move from a high place to a low(er) place. The difference is that the former focuses on the end point/result, whereas the latter focuses on the movement and/or the course taken. さがる means to go down or back, often used in relation to some value or standard. You also use it when a part of something (bodily or other) lowers from its normal position.

Here are a couple of examples.

| おりる | くだる | さがる
――――――――――――――――――――――――――
急いで山を~    |  〇  |  〇  |
小舟で川を~    |     |  〇  |
舞台に幕が~ている |  〇  |     |  〇
成績が五番~    |     |     |  〇
一歩後ろへ~    |     |     |  〇

Here's a screenshot if it's misaligned in your browser (courtesy of @psosuna)

enter image description here

Since the diagram he put together looked funny on my display, I thought it would look funny to other people as well, so I aligned it to my machine and made an image of it that's correctly aligned. i.stack.imgur.com/hWy0g.png – psosuna Oct 4 '17 at 21:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.