In English, when giving directions, there are two possible constructions you can use when telling someone which road to use for a given segment of the trip:

  • 'take', which refers to the entire journey along that road ('take I-35 to 183')
  • 'get on', which only refers to the beginning point of the journey along that road - you have to then explicitly refer to the end as well with 'get off' or 'go to' or something ('get on I-35 and get off at 183')

The first one corresponds just fine to Japanese 通る, but is there a Japanese equivalent of the second? I can imagine multiple options (at the very least 乗る or 入る, depending on the metaphor being used), but I don't think I've ever actually come across a word for this.

  • 1
    Related discussion here – ssb Sep 9 '14 at 16:53

Informally, we say 「~~に[乗]{の}る」 or 「~~に[入]{はい}る」.

Formally and officially, we say 「~~に[進入]{しんにゅう}する」.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.