I can't quite derive the meaning of 自分でも from the parts that make it up.

Here are the example sentences I don't get with the offered translations.

自分でもそれをやってみます。 Do it by yourself.

自分でもそれが解っているんだけと。 I know it myself.

Are the translations wrong? Why is there a も there? There doesn't seem to be an "Even" or a "Too" nuance in the sentences.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'd also appreciate an answer that clarified if this でも is で+も or でも and what difference would it make if the も was dropped.

• The first translation is definitely wrong, that's not an imperative/request at all. Where do they come from? – Darius Jahandarie Sep 3 '14 at 0:05
  • From Anki. And yeah I know that it's not a request, I was thinking more like a verb and it's auxiliary information "Go for a run". Just a statement of action rather than an imperative. Still, it does sound wrong. – Nathan Sep 3 '14 at 0:07
  • @DariusJahandarie Despite the way it is written, it probably was not intended as an imperative, eg "(You may/can) do it by yourself." I'd also appreciate an answer that clarified if this でも is で+も or でも and what difference would it make if the も was dropped. – Tim Sep 3 '14 at 0:50
  • I added your question in @Tim – Nathan Sep 3 '14 at 1:36
    The Tanaka corpus (known to be full of errors, mind you) has these three sentences: (1) 「自分でもそれが解っているんだけと。」 = "I know it myself."   (2) 「自分でもそれをやってみなさい。」 = "Do it by yourself."   (3) 「自分でもそれをやってみます。」 = "I'll do it by myself too."  You've supplied sentences 1 and 3 with the translations for 1 and 2. – snailcar Sep 3 '14 at 1:55

As requested, to break things down into parts...

自分でもそれをやってみます。

【自分】oneself / myself

【で】by (preposition)

【も】too

【それをやってみます】 will try to do it

For pure comprehension purposes, this can be made easier to understand by replacing【自分でも】with【私も】+【自分で】

e.g.【私も自分でそれをやってみます。】 Effectively, "I too, will try to do it by myself." (As opposed to leaving the task up to someone else to do.)

If the も was dropped remove "too, " from the above phrase.

自分でもそれが解っているんだけと。

(Note: I will assume a typo and that the final と is supposed to be ど)

【自分】I / myself (personal pronoun)

【でも】even (adverb)

【それが解っているん】understand that

【だけど】([conjunction] to an omitted phrase or [emphasis] depending on the nuance)

Effectively, either...

[Conjunction] "Even though I understand that..." (Omitted phrase understood by context) For example: A「タバコをやめるべきですよ。体に悪いんです。」B「自分でもそれがわかっているんだけど・・・(やめられないんだよ)」

[Emphasis] "Even I understand that !/? (don't treat me like a fool)" For example: A「空が青いって知ってますか?」B「私でもそれがわかっているんだけど(バカにしないでください)」

|improve this answer|||||
  • Yeah this is what I expected, I'll toss it up to incomplete translations as to my misunderstanding. Thankyou! :) – Nathan Sep 3 '14 at 6:14
  • No problem. Just as a side note, the original example is actually somewhat of an awkward phrase when paired with the translation provided in the book. (「自分でもそれをやってみます。」 = "I'll do it by myself too.") It would be much more natural were the Japanese / English pair found in the book to be one of the following for example: 「自分 でも それをやってます。」 = "Even I do that." or 「自分 でも それをやってみます。」= "Even though it is I, [lowering / humbling oneself] (I) will try to do that" Given the comment above about the book being prone to error, the example phrase itself could likewise, possibly, be incorrect. – hzen Sep 3 '14 at 6:35
  • 自分 and 一人 are different, although in English they might both translate to "oneself" – dainichi Sep 4 '14 at 1:32
  • Thanks for pointing out the oversight. Have edited to reflect your correction. – hzen Sep 4 '14 at 3:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.