What is the difference between 生まれてくる and 生まれる?

I looked up くる in 大辞林 and found the following:

ある事態が出現し,またある現象が現れる意を表す。 「生まれてくる子供のために」 「なくした本が出てきた」

But this still doesn't help me understand the difference in usage.

Take the examples:

早く生まれてくるといいね

早く生まれるといいね

What is the difference between these lines? Based on guessing I'd think the first line is more personally involved and would be something like what a husband/wife might say about their baby and the second one would be what an outside might say to that husband/wife.

Can anyone explain the difference?

• possible duplicate of Difference between -ていく and -てくる – naruto Sep 1 '14 at 9:30
  • I've never heard it said in terms of "more personally involved" but basically it's a helping verb that changes it from "bear" to "come to bear." It's a way of showing something progresses rather than is momentary. (and thus, it's a dupe of the other question). – virmaior Sep 1 '14 at 9:52
    It does have a lot to do with personal interest if not necessarily personal "involvement". Without using the supplementary verb, you could sound a little indifferent depending on the context. – l'électeur Sep 1 '14 at 11:31

The meaning of these two sentences are almost the same and are interchangeable.

However, there is another minor nuance difference, which is not based on grammatical things. By adding 「-くる」, it reminds the reader or the hearer that the subject of the sentence is a baby and makes put more focus on a baby than a mother. In other words, it adds a hidden nuance that a baby will "come" to this world. This nuance might partly explain what you pointed about the familiarity difference. An outside person who is not so familiar with husband/wife generally use the latter expression, unless the talk ongoing between them is directly relating to the baby.

(The above explanation seems to be different from the explanation of 「-てくる」 or 「-ていく」 in the previous thread and the dictionary. I mean that, in addition to those basical meaning in the dictionary, they comprehend the sentence as above-explained in this specific case of combination of 「生まれる」 and 「-てくる」.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.