In two anime series, HUNTER×HUNTER and D.Gray-man, the word 怨【おん】 was translated in the English subtitles as "darkness".

闇【やみ】 is another word for "darkness". What is the difference between these two words?

Do you mean 闇 (yami) and 暗 (an)? – Dono Aug 27 '14 at 21:49
  • no, 闇 (yami) and 怨 (on) – Mijumaru00 Aug 27 '14 at 22:03

闇{やみ} and 怨{おん} are not really related at all.

• 闇{やみ} means "darkness", approximately (as well as some related concepts).

• 怨{おん} doesn't stand on its own, but is part of words like 怨{うら}み and 怨念{おんねん} which both mean "grudge", approximately.

Maybe if you explain what made you think they were related a better answer can be given?

• In hunter x hunter and D.Gray-man (animes), the word "on" was translate(sub) as "darkness" so I thought it meant this . --- sorry for my bad english – Mijumaru00 Aug 27 '14 at 22:40
    Are you sure you didn't mishear 暗{あん} as "on" like Dono suggested? Because 暗{あん} on the other hand is part of many words which are related to darkness... maybe just providing the full line of dialogue would be the easiest way to proceed? – Darius Jahandarie Aug 27 '14 at 22:42
  • i don't think i mishear, but it doesn't matter,the subtitles are probably wrong or a little changed than the original dialogue ---- sorry for my bad english – Mijumaru00 Aug 27 '14 at 22:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.