I am pretty sure that I have heard the phrase "そなわち" used to begin sentences. Googling "そなわち" returns about 35,000 pages. Just like I remember, most use "そなわち" as a phrase at the beginning of a sentence. However, neither goo dict or jisho dict have this phrase.

• what does "そなわち" mean?
  • Why isn't "そなわち" in either of those dictionaries?
  • Goo and Jisho are probably weak dictionaries. What are the jp/jp, eng/jp, jp/eng dictionaries that the moderators use?
    Moderators are just people who try to help the site function the way it's supposed to. Although I have a ♦ diamond next to my name (indicating that I'm a moderator), there are other users on the site who are more knowledgeable than me but don't have ♦ diamonds :-) – snailcar Aug 19 '14 at 22:25

The word you are looking for is なわち and should be in every dictionary. It means "therefore"/"namely".

• yep. I need to work on my listening skills. – user312440 Aug 19 '14 at 22:14
    Some people do say そなわち in real life, so maybe that is actually what you heard. The dictionary spelling is すなわち, though. – l'électeur Aug 19 '14 at 23:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.