I can't find much information on this word. I know that it means "backstabbing" or "betrayal", but there are little to no example sentences which use it. For example, would I use it in a sentence like "a backstabbing person", and if so, would this be along the lines of 裏切りな人 or something completely different?

[裏切]{うら・ぎ}り is just the noun form of the verb [裏切]{うら・ぎ}る. So to describe a backstabbing person (backstabber), you can just say [裏切]{うら・ぎ}る(者{もの}・人{ひと}). Although there is also the special compound noun [裏切]{うら・ぎ}り者{もの} for the same meaning. There's a slight usage nuance that I can't quite put into words, but it's not so big that it's something to worry about.

And of course, the verb [裏切]{うら・ぎ}る conjugates as a [五段動詞]{ご・だん・どう・し}, the same as 切{き}る by itself.

There are many examples of this in the Bible, especially concerning Judas betraying Jesus. You can search for the term 裏切 (leave off the okurigana) online here if you want to find some of these examples.

• Thank you! For some reason I was thinking it was an adjective, probably because of how it is described as just "backstabbing" in most cases, which in English is generally used as an adjective. It makes so much more sense now. – Kelyn Ferguson Aug 18 '14 at 23:33
  • 「裏切り者!」 - "You backstabber!" – sazarando Aug 19 '14 at 5:45

As the noun form, it can also be used simply like this.

彼の裏切りにカッとした。 (I, or someone else) flew into a rage at his betrayal.

Do you mean to say 「カッとした」? 「カットした」 means something completely different. – l'électeur Aug 21 '14 at 1:26
  • Ah, I actually never realized it was spelled like that. Edited my post. Thanks for pointing that out! – Chronopolis Aug 21 '14 at 4:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.