This question already has an answer here:

In a video game I'm playing, the main character, who is a middle-aged man, and his child-like young friend meet a farmer, who seems to address the younger of the two as 「ボクちゃん」.

An example:

オレは ピーター。この はたけの オーナーだ。オヤジと ボクちゃんは どうして ここに?

What exactly does ボクちゃん mean here? What does his choice of words tell us about his opinion of the other two men?

Is the word possibly related to 坊ちゃん, or does the "manservant" meaning of come into play here?

marked as duplicate by ssb, Dono, Sjiveru, waldrumpus, snailcar Aug 21 '14 at 0:09

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

See #2-2 dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/203330/m0u (P.S. jisho.orgにも、『2. You (used addressing young children).「ぼくだいじょうぶ?」といわれました。I was asked, "You OK, kid?"』って書いてあるやん!) – user1016 Aug 18 '14 at 17:45
  • この回答は参考になるでしょうか・・・? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/8126/1016 – user1016 Aug 18 '14 at 17:55
  • Expanding on Choko's comment, kids (boys in particular) use the term ぼく to refer to themselves. Japanese is more flexible about how personal pronouns are used, so in the context of your example, ピーター is using the word ボク to refer to the young boy ("child-like young friend", presumably male), and definitely not as a first-person way of referring to himself. – Eiríkr Útlendi Aug 18 '14 at 20:57
  • @Choko That's certainly similar to my own question. The answer is applicable, too. – waldrumpus Aug 19 '14 at 8:10

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.