The Tanos JLPT list contains this sentence:

ディズニーランドはとても面白かったよ。君もこればよかったのに。 Disneyland was very interesting. You should have come with us.

But the accepted answer at Chiebukuro for 『よかったら、一緒に来れば?』と誰かを誘ったりするときの「来れば?」ですが、... says:

東北辺りでは これば?と言う人もいます
方言の一種ですね
読み仮名を付ける場合は「くれば」しかありません

Also, my IMEs refuse to convert これば into 来れば, and Rikaichan does not give any meaningful translation for これば.

Is there a contradiction, or am I misunderstanding something?

Is 来ればよかった correct?
Is こればよかった correct?

If there are several definitions of "correct", I am interested in what JLPT deems "correct".

3 Answers 3

I think the correct form in standard Japanese is [来]{く}ればよかったのに, since Wiki says 仮定形 of 来る is くれ.

I think こればよかったのに is a typo or an error. Maybe the person who wrote this uses a regional dialect and typed これば (unconsciously or carelessly?), and it was not converted into kanji so they just left it as it was.

The answer up there you posted seems to make it seem pretty clear to me.

東北辺りでは これば?と言う人もいます
方言の一種ですね
読み仮名を付ける場合は「くれば」しかありません

is translated to:

Around Touhoku, there are some people who say 「これば」.
It's just one type of local dialect. 
But when you write it down, the only correct way is 「くれば」。

So in other words, if you are in 東北 and say 「これば」you will be understood just like you can replace 「だ」 with 「や」 in 関西 , but for the JLPT or whenever you're writing formal Japanese, it has to be the Tokyo dialect 「くれば」.

• The Tanos JLPT list seems serious and contains これば so I was wondering which one is correct. Chiebukuro is not always reliable, especially when there is only one answer. Commented Aug 15, 2014 at 1:37
  • 「くれば」is the correct form. There's no argument about that. It's just that 「これば」can also mean 「くれば」in slang so that's probably how that incorrect example sentence snuck in there. In english, I'd think of it like "isn't" versus "aint." Yeah, you hear it and understand it, but when it comes down to grammar books, "aint" aint correct. And neither is 「これば」 Commented Aug 15, 2014 at 1:49
    "「これば」can also mean 「くれば」in slang". Where do you have that from? Slang used where? I've never heard これば before.
    – dainichi
    Commented Aug 15, 2014 at 2:44
    @dainichi From the Chiebukuro question linked in the OP. One of the answers there links to a paper which contains a survey of the usage of これば vs くらば near the end. From the paper, it seems like これば is quite common among youngsters in Toyama prefecture. Commented Aug 15, 2014 at 13:16
  • There is a difference between 「これば」 and 「くれば」. In the example in the OP, 「くれば」 would be "if you had come", whereas 「これば」 would be "if you could have come".
    – sazarando
    Commented Aug 19, 2014 at 3:48

Classic ら抜き + れ抜き (In other words it's a mistake!)

これる == こられる

これば == こられれば

However, 「これる」is in the 大辞林 as meaning "being able to come". Though it does make the note that the "original" (read correct) form is 「こられる」.

http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E6%9D%A5%E3%82%8C%E3%82%8B

To sum up, ら抜き言葉 is awesome. But れ抜き言葉 is not. I mean which would you rather say, "koreba" or "korarereba"? I don't have time for that. No, wait... Yes I do! Maybe I'll just go with 「これれば」。

It has nothing to do with ら抜き -- none. ら抜き is これれば, not これば.
    – user4032
    Commented Aug 19, 2014 at 3:48
  • Sure it does! That is, if you consider 「これる」 to be conjugated as a 五段動詞. Which is where this word comes from according to the dictionary entry I posted. However, if you conjugate it as an 一段動詞 you're absolutely right though, it would be 「これれば」. I've heard people say both, and I'm pretty sure that both are "incorrect" by 標準語 standards.
    – sazarando
    Commented Aug 19, 2014 at 5:03
    「これる」は「こられる」のら抜きですよね。助動詞「れる」がついているので、活用形は助動詞の「(ら)れる」の活用になるはずですよね。「(ら)れ、(ら)れ、(ら)れる、(ら)れる、(ら)れれ、(ら)れろ・れよ」ってWikiに書いてありますので、「れれ」でしょう。仮定形は「れ」ではありません。「れ抜き」になってしまいませんか?読み間違えていたらすみませんが、「『これる』が五段活用する」とおっしゃっているのですか?
    – user1016
    Commented Aug 19, 2014 at 10:09
    @Maikeru in the 大辞林 entry you linked, it says just below the headword that これる is ( 動ラ下一 ) i.e. 一段. And even if it were the case that it's 五段, the conjugated eba form would still be これれば. Commented Aug 19, 2014 at 14:11
    単に「(か)く>>(か)ける」「(よ)む>>(よ)める」になるから、語尾は「く>>ける」「む>>める」になっているので、「る>>れる」になるだろうと勘違い(類推)して、「(く)る>>(こ)れる」というように間違えたものだと思います。
    – user1016
    Commented Aug 20, 2014 at 16:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .