I have learned from my previous studies that it is みんで.

However, Google translate seems to give me the answer みて.

Which is correct?

  • 2
    Can you explain a little about "previous studies"? Where did you find みんで? – Steel Jul 25 '14 at 6:30
  • I had an elective course in my undergrad - Elementary Japanese. So it seems that my teacher was wrong in that aspect. – Zaenille Jul 25 '14 at 6:54
  • 2
    You seem to be conjugating it as though it's mim-u rather than mi-ru. Do you have a basic textbook? – snailplane Jul 25 '14 at 7:10
  • 3
    ^ Dunno. Maybe the downvoters meant to say you should have checked your textbook first? – user1016 Jul 25 '14 at 8:54
  • 1
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is very basic and does not warrant becoming a question. It detracts from the overall quality of the forum. – Tim Jul 25 '14 at 13:30

If you are talking about [見]{み}ます/見る, the て-form is 見て。

  • Is 見ます == watch? If so, then yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, I don't understand Kanji yet. – Zaenille Jul 25 '14 at 6:28
  • Yes 見る is to watch. There are other みる as well, but there is no conjugation of みんで. At least, it is not something that I can find in a dictionary like jisho.org – Steel Jul 25 '14 at 6:30
  • 2
    It is not みて for both みる and みます. – l'électeur Jul 25 '14 at 8:15

If OP really wanted to make a distinction between みる and みます, then the te-forms would be:

みる ⇒ みて

みます ⇒ みまして 

  • 2
    Of course, みまして is pretty unusual, but it is technically the -て form of みます. – Sjiveru Jul 25 '14 at 16:15
  • How is it used? I'm guessing it's just the polite version of みて. But is there any special nuance in it? – Steel Jul 26 '14 at 5:09
  • @Steel If you'd like to know when ~まして would be used (outside of lexicalized phrases like はじめまして), you could perhaps ask a separate question. – snailplane Jul 26 '14 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.