This question already has an answer here:

I'm playing a video game in Japanese, and one of the characters said

僕にもわかりそうにない

I understand that (verb stem)そう means "it seems" or "it appears", but I've never seen (verb stem)そう used with the に particle.

My guess is that the sentence means something like:

I don't seem to know either.

Am I translating it correctly? What is the meaning of this construction?

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Earthliŋ, Dono, Szymon, ssb Jul 14 '14 at 12:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• As for your second sentence, are you sure you've never seen V + しか ない (e.g. 諦めるしかない)? – Earthliŋ Jul 12 '14 at 20:44
  • @Earthliŋ No, I've only seen しかない used with nouns (e.g. コンピュータが一台しかない), but I now realize that my confusion with this sentence isn't related to そう, so I'll edit it out of the question. – Ataraxia Jul 12 '14 at 20:59
  • As you can see here そうにない is a phrase and it means "doesn't seems like; extremely unlikely to". So I think that your translation is correct. – renchan Jul 13 '14 at 10:02
    You may be interested in the difference between 知る and 分かる. 「分かりそうにない」 is "unlikely that I can understand (the difficult textbook, concept, etc.)" as opposed to just knowing something as a fact. – naruto Jul 14 '14 at 0:12
  • @naruto Yes, I know the difference between the two. – Ataraxia Jul 14 '14 at 17:32

Your translation is correct.
「そう」is for positive sentence, 「そうに」is for negative sentence.
「そう」/「そうに」also have some meaning of "in the future".

I also understand.

僕にもわかります
僕にもわかる

I understand... maybe.

僕にもわかりそうです
僕にもわかりそう

I don't understand.

僕にはわかりません
僕にはわからない

I don't understand, ether.

僕にもわかりません
僕にもわからない

It's hard to understand. Ask someone else.
「そうもない」is much harder to achieve the goal than 「そうにない」.

僕にはわかりそうもありません
僕にはわかりそうもない

I don't understand ether.
Nearly same as 「わからない」 but 「わかりそうにない」is a little bit soft.

僕にもわかりそうにない

"(I'll try but..) it seems too dificult for me to understand"
「わからなそうです」is more softer expression

僕にもわからなそうです

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.