I noticed on my trip to Japan that tour guides in museums etc use a very interesting type of language. It seems to be used almost exclusively by people in Osaka and Kyoto.

There are two features that stand out to me: the first one is that 〜ます seems to be used attributively very often. People say things like ここにありますもの and 〜ますので, while IIRC in standard Japanese ます does not have a 連体形. Forms like 〜まして, 〜ましょうと〜ます are also very commonly used, while supplantion by plain form is supposedly correct.

Secondly, people use けれども a lot and almost never use けれど or けど. This is not really "wrong", but I personally have never ever seen けれども in print. Obviously ど can be followed by も ever since Old Japanese, but 〜ども seems to be quite rare in Modern Japanese. Also, a weird invalid accent pattern seems to be used: けれども{LLLH}.

What is this type of 丁寧語 language? Is it a variant of 標準語 from Kansai area? I am sure that in situations where correct language is more mandated, like newscasting and text-to-speech train station announcements, this kind of "overgeneralized 丁寧語" is not used.

Just a note on the frequency of けれども: it has 23467 entries in the BCCWJ
    – ssb
    Jun 23, 2014 at 4:41
    Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/11072/1478
    – user1478
    Jun 23, 2014 at 5:05
    けれども{HLHL} actually can have two stressed syllables. Further more, the last syllable of a phrase often gets emphasized, which is a part of intonation rather than accent.
    – Yang Muye
    Jun 23, 2014 at 12:13
    こういう話し方する人、多いですよね。いちいち語尾を上げて話す人。若者言葉かもしれませんが。「美しい日本語」とは見なされないので、真似しないほうがいいです。 ビデオ from 1:20 「けれ[ども]{LH}~、け[ども]{LH}、~さ[んと]{LH}~、さ[んと]{LH}~、け[れど]{LH}~、ひ[とと]{LH}、~けれ[ども]{LH}~、けれ[ども]{LH}~」 from 3:37「あからさ[まに]{LH}~、きる[んで]{LH}~、とい[うか]{LH}~、が[わは]{LH}~、ききた[いし]{LH}~、ききた[いし]{LH}~、とか[言って]{LLH}~、ですけれ[ども]{LH}~、いらっ[しゃる]{LH}~、新聞[とか]{LH}~、方[だと]{LH}~・・・」
    – user1016
    Jun 24, 2014 at 7:16
    @Choko 若者言葉だけではなくて、ちょっと女っぽいしゃべり方と思わないか? Jun 25, 2014 at 22:07

1 Answer 1

ますのでis not wrong usage of grammar,but not appropriate. It's called「バカ丁寧」

このごろ毎晩、疲れて帰ってくるので、
   シャワーを浴びたあと、
   オンザロックを飲んでから
   軽い食事をして休むことにしています。

Words above are suitable for common use,words below are to much respection that sounds like a little foolish.

このごろ毎晩、疲れて帰ってきますので、
   シャワーを浴びましたあと、
   オンザロックを飲みましてから
   軽い食事をしまして休むことにしております。

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .