I'm trying to understand the quote "One Piece is real" and have found the following corresponding expression in Japanese:

ワンピース 実在する

However, this looks more like it means "One Piece does exist".

Is the English translation just off and this is the actual meaning, or are there other ways of saying "One Piece is real" in Japanese, which don't mean "One Piece does exist"?

i fixed it imo-- – user1720170 May 24 '14 at 14:46
    I think the question could now be answered in its current form as a language question, with comparison to 存在. – Hyperworm May 24 '14 at 19:36
    Presumably, the asker is referring to the manga written Eichiro Oda (notice the capitalization in his question and the the that you removed when you quoted me) – virmaior May 25 '14 at 2:44
    @user1720170 what sense of "is real" are you looking for? Like the characters and stuff are a true story? – ssb May 25 '14 at 5:23
    I was refering to the manga One Piece written by Eichiro Oda! " (The) "One Piece" is a rumored thing inside the manga One Piece. I am pretty sure we are talking about whether that thing exists/is real (within the world of the manga) or is fictional (within the world of the manga)." Sums it up perfectyl – user1720170 May 25 '14 at 19:21

Isn't this "ワンピースは実在する!" from this anime/manga? It's not related to dresses or swimsuits.

In this manga, ワンピース is a name of "ultimate treasure" searched by pirates, and very little is known about it. Characters in the manga even do not know whether ワンピース is a touchable object; it may be a name of some magical power, or a city, and it may be just a baseless rumor.

So in this context, "ワンピースは実在する" means "One Piece does exist in reality. It's not a mere legend or rumor." The fansub movie above translates this as "One Piece does exist," which I think is perfectly correct, but I find nothing wrong if you translate this as "One Piece is real."

Besides that context, of course, "(something) is real" cannot always be translated as "実在する". If you want to say something like "This one-piece dress is a real one manufactured in Italy in 1850," use 本物, not 実在する.

• Perfect answer, exactly what i was looking for. Thanks naruto :) – user1720170 May 25 '14 at 19:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.