How to call a picture where due to a camera handling error or inopportune subject move, the subject is not at the intended place (for instance center of the picture), but instead at the edge of the picture, or even out of the picture.

For instance, I take a picture of someone but the camera slips in my hand and the resulting picture has the head of the person cut off.

In French it is called "erreur de cadrage".

If there is no such word, how to call the action of rotating the camera to place the subject at the intended place in the picture?

I would say "フレーミング失敗" but I guess it does not sound natural.

enter image description here

  • I may be wrong but I think this question is asking for translation without an attempt to translate and thus is off-topic.
    – Szymon
    Commented Apr 27, 2014 at 9:25
  • 1
    @Szymon: Fixed. Commented Apr 27, 2014 at 9:44

1 Answer 1



In normal conversation you'd say 「(足が)切れてる。」or「(頭が)切れちゃった」.

  • 見切れる can be taken into account, too.
    – user4092
    Commented Apr 28, 2014 at 9:05
  • @user4092 「見切れる」は初めて聞きます。写真の専門用語でしょうか?
    – user1016
    Commented Apr 28, 2014 at 9:14
  • もしかすると専門用語・業界用語のたぐいかもしれません。自分自身どこで聞き知ったかわかりません。It might be a kind of jargon. I'm not sure myself where I caught it.
    – user4092
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 6:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .