Does it make sense to talk about サ変名詞 as being 自動詞 or 他動詞? If so, surely some are 他動詞: 車{くるま}を運転{うんてん}する。
日本語{にほんご}を勉強{べんきょう}する。
庭{にわ}を散歩{さんぽ}する。

But, what about 自動詞? Perhaps this posting of mine from awhile ago describes 自動詞としてのサ変名詞 (but maybe not)? More likely, I have insufficient vocab knowledge to think of even one.

And, in a broader context, I am interested in if, in a transitive sentence (regardless of if it is サ変名詞 or not), with a specified direct object, must "を" always be the final 助詞{じょし}?

thank you.

Yes, it makes sense to talk about the transitivity of verbal noun plus する constructions. I would simply link you to the introduction of The Light Verb Construction in Japanese: The Role of the Verbal Noun, but I suppose it's better if I repeat some of the examples here. All of the following examples are taken from page 8:

First, intransitive verbal noun + する constructions:

1. 到着する arrive
  2. 誕生する be born
  3. 死亡する die

Second, transitive verbal noun + する constructions:

1. 警告する warn
  2. 破壊する destroy
  3. 攻撃する attack

Third, verbal noun + する constructions which can be either transitive or intransitive:

1. 移動する move
  2. 破損する damage / be damaged
  3. 紛失する lose
  4. 縮小する shrink / become shrunken
  5. 終了する finish
  6. 増加する increase

No, を arguments don't need to be final; they can be scrambled out of their basic position. Because most constituents in a Japanese sentence are marked (e.g. with case markers like を or postpositions of some kind), sentence order is relatively free, although certain orders may differ in emphasis, and the order isn't entirely free.

If you want details about sentence order, I suggest you ask a separate question about it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.