I've been doing a bit of work with rendering 縦書き【たてがき】 in HTML, and was having a running internal monologue in Japanese about how things were progressing when I hit on a missing word: "line" as in "line of code". Trying to think of possibilities I came up with 列【れつ】 or 線【せん】, but neither feels right. Perhaps just the import ライン instead? Can anyone shed some light on this?

For context, the sentence in question is

余計な*を抜くと状況が直った。

• What do you mean by 状況が直った? circumstances were repaired?
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 27, 2014 at 0:20
  • Pretty much. Essentially that I had some extra lines of CSS, and when I pruned the unnecessary ones things started displaying properly.
    – Kaji
    Mar 27, 2014 at 0:46
  • Since you already accepted an answer for your question, you could ask a separate question about your sentence.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 27, 2014 at 0:55
  • The answer covered the issue I was addressing; is there a problem with my wording in the sentence itself?
    – Kaji
    Mar 27, 2014 at 1:57
    I think that the choices of 余計, 抜く, 状況 and 直る are somewhat unsuitable for your context. At the moment it sounds a bit like "The circumstances were repaired, when I extracted abundant lines." It's not that one can't follow the meaning, but the wording is not entirely natural.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 27, 2014 at 2:09

1 Answer 1

Always use 行 (ぎょう) for the lines (in a book chapter, a programming code, etc.), no matter whether the sentence is written horizontally (横書き) or vertically (縦書き).

For example, "Removing three lines from the CSS file" is as follows:

CSSファイルから3行抜く

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .