I was reading a comic and came across the following usage of 勝 which confused me.

この試合でオレを三橋に勝たしてくれ!

I know what it means (Help me beat Mihashi in this game), but I'm not sure about how to parse "勝たしてくれ". "くれ" looks like it comes from "くれる", and I want to say that "して" is the connective form of "する", yet I've been completely unable to find a noun or suru-verb "勝た" in any of my dictionaries. The other possibility I considered was "勝たして" came from a verb "勝たす", but once again I couldn't find any such verb. What's going on here?

• On the first page of search results for 勝たす, I find this Wiktionary entry. Where did you look for 勝たす? (Conventional dictionaries usually don't list all inflections of a verb. I doubt OED has an entry for "to let so. win" or "won".)
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 16, 2014 at 21:23
  • I searched on Jisho and on the Midori app on my phone, without any relevant results. Edit: Also, the conjugation table for Midori only lists the "standard" form, kataseru.
    – Yesteryear
    Mar 16, 2014 at 22:52

2 Answers 2

勝たす is a rougher variant of 勝たせる - the causative form of 勝つ. So it would be something like "[Please] let me defeat Mihashi".

「[勝]{か}たしてくれ」 is only the colloquial form of 「勝たせてくれ」.

「勝たせ」 is the [連用形]{れんようけい} (continuative form) of the causative verb 「勝たせる = "to let win" or "to make win"」. Needless to say, 「勝たせる」 consists of the verb 「勝つ = "to win"」 and the auxiliary verb 「せる = "to cause to"」. 

「て」 is a connective particle.

「くれ」 is the [命令形]{めいれいけい} (imperative form) of the verb 「くれる」

「(Person) + に + 勝たしてくれ」 = "Let me beat/defeat (Person)."

Other examples of the colloquial せ-to-し change:

「見して = "Show me."」、「行かして = "Let me go."」、「やらして = "Let me do it for ya"」, etc.

I had written up an answer like this, but was unsure because Wiktionary lists 勝たす as a variant causative form and the other answer claims that 勝たす is a "rougher variant". I thought that 勝たして was just the result of a sound change せ to し, but realised that I don't know any formal rule for forming the causative form.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 17, 2014 at 1:33
  • @Earthliŋ: ...formal rule for forming the causative form. +10 alliteration points.
    – istrasci
    Mar 17, 2014 at 3:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .