In today's endeavour to augment my ability to read onigiri labels I came across this in Naha, Okinawa:


Google Translate does a terrible job:

Boiled angle increments

WWWJDIC has an entry for 角煮:

stew of cubed meat or fish (esp. pork belly or tuna)

But I'm stumped by きざみ. Google thinks it means increment and WWWJIC has "shredded tobacco; notch; nick", which doesn't help much.

I've also tried Goo, Wikipedia, Wiktionary. I wonder if there's a wiki or other resource specializing in Japanese food terminology as this is a particular interest of mine.

  • 1
    刻む (きざむ)means "to mince", so that should probably clear things up a bit. – alexhatesmil Mar 10 '14 at 23:50
  • 2
    きざみ角煮 is of the exact same structure we discussed here: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/14800/… – l'électeur Mar 11 '14 at 0:03
  • @TokyoNagoya: Yes I was just coming to the same conclusion! It looks like I have to find a way to study this ~む → ~み thing. There seem to be many Japanese terms for "mince(d)" as adjective, noun, or verb. In dictionaries I've only found this as きざむ now that I know what to look for. – hippietrail Mar 11 '14 at 0:07
  • Do you still have a question? Do you want to write up an answer yourself? – Earthliŋ Mar 11 '14 at 0:32
  • 2
    I don't know if you're including Google Translate translations for humor reasons, but surely you must realize that it is inaccurate for almost anything you give it? I don't understand why you include it in your question. – Darius Jahandarie Mar 11 '14 at 12:22

煮物 is a type of Japanese dish, which consists of food boiled in 出し (broth) and soy sauce, often with 料理酒 (cooking rice wine) and sugar.

The name of all types of 煮物 usually end with ~煮, e.g. 筑前煮, 粗煮, etc.

角煮 is a type of 煮物 with cubed meat or fish as main ingredient, similar in looks to meat stew.

刻む is one of the types of chopping food, which usually is done by chopping the food into strips (千切り) and then into tiny cubes.

きざみ角煮 is thus "minced stew". きざみ is the 連用形 form of the verb きざむ with joins to 角煮 to form a new word, as in 入り口, 出口 and thousands of other words. What's different is that this construction usually uses a 訓読み word, but here 角 is 音読み. This should cause no confusion as ~煮 is clearly a 訓読み suffix and 角煮 feels much like a 訓読み word. Besides, there are no other options: [刻角]{こっかく}煮 would sound like the filling is a type of 煮物 called 刻角煮.

  • Exemplary answer! どうもありがとうございます! – hippietrail Mar 11 '14 at 1:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.