I'm working out my Japanese by trying to read everything around me, including food packages.

On my milk carton written inside a large arrow pointing to the spout is "あけぐち" in hiragana.

Obviously this is equivalent to English "open here", "pour here", "spout" etc, but I want to understand it literally, piece by piece, to improve my grammar knowledge and ability to make my own sentences, etc.

So is this a noun phrase made up of just 開{あ}け and 口{ぐち}?

Is the ~け okurigana for some kind of verb ending? Does it maybe change it from a verb to a noun so that it can enter into a compound with ぐち?

It seems not to be regarded as a word in its own right as its not in EDIC. Surprisingly Google Translate offers only "akeguchi"!

Or am I totally off the mark? What would be ways to translate it into English very literally?

  • 1
    I think いりぐち and でぐち have the same structure – 無色受想行識 Mar 9 '14 at 10:11
  • Good point! I didn't think of that. Then of course I never stopped to analyse how those are formed either. But I would think they are both accepted as words in their own right these days. – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 10:19

Would it surprise you if I told you that you are likely to have been using Japanese words of the same structure as 「開け口」 for years already --- 「[着物]{きもの}」,「[焼]{や}き[鳥]{とり}」, 「[食]{た}べ[物]{もの}」, etc.

The structure is "[連用形]{れんようけい} of a verb + Noun". It is as simple as that.

「[開]{あ}け[口]{ぐち}」= The 連用形 of the verb [開]{あ}ける, which is [開]{あ}け + The noun [口]{くち} = "opening mouth"

「[着物]{きもの}」= The 連用形 of the verb [着]{き}る, which is [着]{き} + The noun [物]{もの} = "wearing things"

For those unfamiliar with the consonant change occuring in くち⇒ぐち, it is called [連濁]{れんだく} : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku

| improve this answer | |
  • It doesn't surprise me, but I guess I'm getting to a level of analysing things into their parts, a stage I always get to when learning languages. I don't know if everybody else goes through this stage? Running Google Translate over the Japanese Wikipedia article for "連用形" tells me it's called the "conjunctive form" in English - and this term indeed sounds familiar. For me the rendaku is the easy part even if I don't always remembering when typing. Other English terms for processes like this in many languages are "assimilation" and "sandhi". – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 10:36
  • There's actually two common English terms: conjunctive form as mentioned, but also continuative form. – hippietrail Mar 9 '14 at 20:36
  • couldn't resist, but hope this works: memegenerator.net/instance/47049021 – yadokari Mar 11 '14 at 0:25
  • Ah yes, pictures of words. – hippietrail Mar 11 '14 at 0:30
  • 1
    @hippietrail Other English terms for the 連用形 you may run across include "infinitive" (Bloch, Martin) and "stem" (Jorden). – snailplane Mar 12 '14 at 13:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.