I understand the meaning of this phrase, but I have a hard time understanding how it's constructed.

In phrases like それで or というわけで you have a noun plus the particle で. This looks superficially similar, except that それが元(です) is a sentence, not a noun (or noun phrase).

What's going on here? Is there a bunch of other stuff being left unspoken?

• any context for where you're seeing it? – ssb Feb 7 '14 at 17:52
    I have read this question several times and am thinking either the answer should already be obvious to you, or I don't understand what you're asking. Do you realize that you can have practically any sentence ending in で and then follow it by another sentence? – Earthliŋ Feb 7 '14 at 22:42
    aren't they different types of で? particle-で and conjunction-で (which I understood was a shortened version of です) – momerathe Feb 8 '14 at 11:33
    They're both the same; they're both the -て form of だ/です/である. There's a different で that's a particle, but that means something completely different. – Sjiveru Feb 8 '14 at 16:47
    Is this part of a conversation? If so could you post the conversation in its entirety? – dotnetN00b Feb 10 '14 at 21:28

Might be worthwhile rendering it into partial English:

So, with that as the 元, ...

And 元 can mean foundation, start, beginning, entranceway, original,... it could be rendered many ways.

Essentially, this construction requires that there be a preceding sentence/clause/word to point to. (それが)

You could also see it as

それが元となって, or それを元として, ...

So you're wondering if it's related to それで or というわけで

Kind-of. というわけで is literally "by way of the [mentioned] reason" or "for that reason" in more natural English. The で in the phrase you posted can also be interpreted as "by way of [this] 元... (something occurred) "

Well you asked this over a month ago, but I wrote out this response so, I'll post it in case it's useful to someone down the line.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.