When writing a kanji, some downstrokes have a clean end (such as in 木) while others end with a little hook (e.g. the center stroke of 小).

What are the names of such stroke tips?


「はね」is what I always hear it referred to as.
A web search finds lots of sources to back this up:

| improve this answer | |
  • When talking about kanji in English, I was taught they were called jumps. Along with stops (とめ) and sweeps (はらい), they make up the three ways a line can terminate while writing Japanese characters. – William Jan 21 '14 at 19:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.