sorry that I could not come-up with a better title...

The readings of the kanjis in a person's name, is theoretically arbitrary. But in reality, a kanji tends to have a set of maybe 3 or 4 probable readings when used in a name. For example: , under the "Japanese names" header, has the following probable readings: "いと、これ、ただ、だ、よし". So, what is the official name for that set of readings?

a kanji has:
(-) 訓読み
(-) 音読み
(-) ??? 読み <--- set of the most frequently used readings in people's names.

what is the set name?

  • 1
    I wouldn't set up a classification solely for readings in people's names. Most of these can be classified as kun; they are just nonstandard and may not appear in dictionary as kun readings. – Pteromys Jan 21 '14 at 6:50

I think you are looking for [名乗]{なの}り

  • 1
    great. exactly what i was looking for. – usdxile Jan 20 '14 at 16:02
  • I always wondered where that term came from. I've seen it in Jim Breen's KANJIDIC and other English language resources, but the 漢和辞典 that I have don't seem to use the term 「名乗り読み」. Is it used by other dictionaries or official documents? – snailplane Jan 20 '14 at 17:44
  • @snailplane: 大辞泉 seems to use it (simply as 名のり) -- dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2/154866/m1u/%E6%9D%B1 – Hyperworm Jan 20 '14 at 18:09
  • @Hyperworm Ooh, thanks! That's very interesting. It seems that the 学研 dictionaries use 名づけ (both my smaller 大きな字の常用漢和辞典 and the larger 漢字源), while 新漢語林 seems to mark them 名前. – snailplane Jan 20 '14 at 18:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.