I was wondering what the meaning of かい and き is for the Google Summer Solstice Doodle pictured here: enter image description here

I'm guessing it has some relation to summer, but what?

2 Answers 2

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that these Japanese letters have anything to do with summer.

These are mascots of Kaikai Kiki Co., Ltd., a company run by Takashi Murakami, the artist who painted this Google Doodle. Also note that the same mascots appear in the Winter Solstice Doodle, too.

• Ooh, now that I look at it, it does have an Aoshima Chiho-esque cute/spooky feel to it.
    – Amanda S
    Jun 21, 2011 at 16:10
    Kaikai Kiki's website says Kaikai Kiki is 恠恠奇奇(カイカイキキ) ... 「怪しく、しかし魅了される」という意味 ("strange yet fascinating").
    – ento
    Jun 21, 2011 at 16:10
    That's really cool. I never thought trying to go to Google South Africa would give me a Winter Solstice doodle! :)
    – Boaz Yaniv
    Jun 21, 2011 at 16:30
  • Aww... that's pretty disappointing! Thanks for the answer. Jun 21, 2011 at 20:38

快気 probably. "Good feeling". Or maybe 怪奇 for "weird", i.e., those strange pig-rabbits.

After all, 怪奇 is pretty close, considering the origin of the company name. Jun 22, 2011 at 2:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .