I am looking for a way to express the equivalent of "statistically speaking, ..." (followed by a quote from a paper, or something like that), or pretty much any other grammatical construction that works well for the subject of quoting statistics or papers.

I know the word 統計, but that always results in very cumbersome (and probably wrong) sentences, such as:

統計の論文を読んだ、
統計の見方から、

I am sure Japanese people will understand what I try to express, but it's hardly correct.

While I honestly care about the answer and do not know it, I have also made this question for meta-discussion: Who is our target audience?

3 Answers 3

try 統計的に言えば....

asked google translate and it makes sense + shorter than what you used and seems more grammatically correct.

• That is incredibly literal. Can someone with experience confirm?
    – Kdansky
    Jun 20, 2011 at 10:47
  • I'm pretty low-level, but that sounds really human to me! Jun 20, 2011 at 10:50
  • This sounds perfectly okay to me. 「統計的に言うと」would suffice as well. 「的」is often used like this. 「文法的には正しい」== "Grammatically, it's correct." 「文法的に言うと...」== "Grammatically speaking..."
    – phirru
    Jun 20, 2011 at 11:14
    There are lots of ways. For example 統計的な観点で言うと (live example here: a.know-how.fc2.com/ja/1557) Remember, Google is your friend when determining how widely use a written phrase is.
    – crunchyt
    Jun 21, 2011 at 6:37
  • I find the "言えば" a little bit too much in casual conversation. In a similar fashion, you can also say "確率的に" without fear.
    – Axioplase
    Jun 21, 2011 at 7:28

Some more variations:

統計的には...

Statistically, ...

Shorter version of 統計的に言えば.

~的 is quite versatile and, technically, it can be tacked on to almost any noun. ex. お金的には (moneywise), 春的な (spring-like). But excessive or uncommon usage will be frowned upon as slang.

統計的見地から言えば...

From the standpoint of statistics, ...

Using 見地 adds objectivity and formality to your statement.

統計上は...

According to statistics, ...

Depending on the context, this can sometimes imply that the speaker thinks the truth doesn't lie in the numbers.

Statistically speaking 統計的に言えば

http://www.raku-eigo.com/index.php?e=21
- Since this is an NHK course (for English), I'd say the Japanese part is pretty safe...

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .