明日でなくてもいいです

2. My grammar book also says:

Verb/Noun+なければなりません

Is it OK to use

Adjective/Na-Adjective+なければなりません,

like:

高くなければなりません

きれいでなければなりません

1. Yes, it is ok, but as you did in your example, one needs to insert で between the noun and なくてもいいです.

明日でなくてもいいです = It does not have to be tomorrow.

2. If your book just says "It is ok to use Verb/Noun + なければなりません", it is misleading. With nouns, you need to insert は (or が) or で depending on what you want to say, for the phrase to make sense and be grammatical.

The two sentences below have totally different meanings:

ワインはなければなりません = Wine is definitely needed (in life). = We cannot live without wine.

ワインでなければなりません = It has to be wine (for a certain occasion or to go with a certain dish).

And yes, it is ok to use Adjective/Na-Adjective + なければなりません and your examples are both correct.

• I typed "1" and "2" but it comes out both as "1". Can someone edit? Thanks. – l'électeur Nov 17 '13 at 0:16
    Done :) Use a space at the start of line to indent and keep unnumbered lines "within" the preceding list item. Lines that start without either a space or a number will end the list and ensure that future list items start from 1. – Hyperworm Nov 17 '13 at 0:23
  • To expand slightly: the reason you need the で in 1) is that you're taking the ない form of Nounである - the で isn't a particle in case you might be confused. similarly, in 2) the two cases are based on Nounはある and Nounである respectively. – momerathe Nov 17 '13 at 10:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.