What is the most common Japanese word to use when referring to any kind of enemy in a video game. I know the word モンスター is common for non-human enemies, but is there just a general term for any kind of enemy? Thank you

2 Answers 2

Native speaker here. 敵{てき}キャラ might be what you are looking for. You could use 敵 if you wanted to but that word is so general that it is used in a war in real life as well. 敵 just does not give off the fun feeling that 敵キャラ and モンスター do for the player.

• Thank you for confirming that. It makes complete sense now. n__n
    – smkraft
    Commented Nov 5, 2013 at 23:49
    Sorry, is that reading かたき or てき? Commented Nov 6, 2013 at 0:14
    When I hear かたき I think 仇, actually...
    – Zhen Lin
    Commented Nov 6, 2013 at 18:03

As far as I know, the most general term for an opponent or enemy is 敵【てき】. This applies to enemies in games, as well.

• Thank you. After a few Google searches for game enemies, it seems like 敵 is almost always followed by キャラ like 敵キャラ. キャラ being an abbreviation for キャラクター or character. Is using 敵 by itself just as acceptable?
    – smkraft
    Commented Nov 5, 2013 at 23:47
  • I disagree for the reason I gave in my answer.
    – user4032
    Commented Nov 5, 2013 at 23:49
    To his credit, 敵キャラ is what you would say outside the context of the game in specific reference to it as a type of character. Inside the game they wouldn't say 「敵キャラをやっつけてください」
    – ssb
    Commented Nov 6, 2013 at 2:07
    I agree with ssb, we say [敵]{てき} when actually playing the game, eg ほらそこ、敵!/敵が来た!/ここ、敵多い!rather than ほらそこ、敵キャラ!/敵キャラが来た!/ここ、敵キャラ多い!
    – user1016
    Commented Nov 6, 2013 at 13:40
  • @ssb: Clearly characters in a game do not refer to their enemy as an “enemy in a game” unless it is a metafictional reference, but I do not think that this is what this question is about. That said, as ちょこれーと stated, we sometimes use also 敵 to mean 敵キャラ. As far as I can imagine, this happens either (1) when the meaning is clear from the context or (2) when the speaker feels that he/she is inside the game. In the case of (2), the speaker is essentially acting as a character in the game. Commented Nov 10, 2013 at 22:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .