Many emails received from Japanese companies contain characters-based dingbat-style ornament like this:


| bla:blablabla  
| bla:blabla

■┓  bla   ┏■  

It seems to be a particular case of Shift_JIS art (which I don't know how to say in Japanese either, by the way).

What do you call this type of email decoration in Japanese?

  • According to this page Shift_JIS art is called "JISアート"...
    – user1016
    Oct 22 '13 at 13:38
  • 2
    I think a lot of people refer to JIS / Shift_JIS / Unicode (etc.) art as "AA", ignoring whether or not it's actually ASCII.
    – user1478
    Oct 22 '13 at 14:13
  • 2
    If these are signatures (decorated or not), we just call them as "署名". It these are in bodies, these are probably called "飾り罫", I think.
    – marasai
    Oct 22 '13 at 16:11
  • 3
    @ちょこれーと that page contains many many errors, do not trust it. For example, 'JISコード(shift-JIS又はEUC-JP)は' is not correct.
    – jovanni
    Oct 23 '13 at 13:08
  • 1
    飾り罫 (decorative frame of text) is read as かざりけい. It does not necessarily mean decorative frame represented as text. Probably there is no word which exactly describes decorative frame represented as text (either in Japanese or in English), if that is what you are asking. Oct 30 '13 at 2:22

This decorative frame can be called 飾り罫 (かざりけい).

飾り罫 can be text-based or not, it means any kind of dingbat-style framing in general.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.