My understanding is that 思われる, in addition to being the passive form of 思う, can also be used in the sense of "to spontaneously think; to appear".

北米では通常スカートは女性がはくものと思われている。
In North America a skirt is thought of as something a woman wears.

In which sense is 思われる being used here? Both seem reasonable:
Spontaneous: In North America, people spontaneously think a skirt is something a woman wears. Passive: A skirt is thought of by North Americans as something a woman wears.

I lean more towards the first one, since a passive sentence would normally mark the agent with に i.e.

スカートは北米人には女性がはくものと思われている。

• related: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/11534/…
    – ssb
    Sep 17, 2013 at 4:36
  • What source is your "spontaneous" meaning from?
    – yadokari
    Sep 17, 2013 at 13:11
  • @yadokari I believe it's one of the four uses of (ら)れる identified in traditional grammar, called 自発. The other three are 受身 (passive), 尊敬 (honorific), and 可能 (potential).
    – user1478
    Sep 17, 2013 at 15:15
  • @yadokari My source was the entry for 思われう in A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar, which describes it as "a verb that indicates what the speaker/writer feels spontaneously". They also explicitly distinguish this usage from the passive form of 思う.
    – Viridian
    Sep 17, 2013 at 15:47
    Somehow, I don't think the ている form can be the spontaneous kind, and I think the reason could be related to this question: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/6538/… .
    – dainichi
    Sep 18, 2013 at 22:45

2 Answers 2

From your last comment (emphasis added):

a verb that indicates what the speaker/writer feels spontaneously

This does not match the translation you give for "spontaneous:"

In North America, people spontaneously think a skirt is something a woman wears.

Do you see the difference? If 思われる were supposed to indicate the author's thoughts or feelings, a better translation would be

It seems that in North America skirts are usually worn by women.

However, with no other context, there is nothing to indicate that this is a personal observation of the author, so the translation

In North America a skirt is thought of as something a woman wears.

seems most appropriate to me.

Also note that it is quite common to leave out the agent in passive sentences. Just a few examples:

今日学校でいじめられた。
I got bullied at school today.

政府は倒された。
The government was overthrown.

彼は殺された。
He was killed.

The 自発 (spontaneous) 思われる is a static verb (like いる and ある) and cannot take the ている form. So the 思われている in the example is definitely a passive.

The passive 思われる can take the 思われている form based on tense/aspect.

• That is the grammatical explanation that I was searching for but couldn't find. This is a better answer. Sep 19, 2013 at 15:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .