is a digraph that is read より. Where does it originate from?

Is it a ligature, like & <- et, or German ß <- ſs -> ss? (Wikipedia claims this, citing no source.) Also, if it is a ligature, what did the ligation process look like (e.g. what are the intermediate forms between より and )?

Alternatively, could it be a derivative of or another kanji? (Another non-authoritative source which I have now lost track of claims this.)

I think it's quite clearly a ligature of よ and り – don't forget that this is from the period when Japanese was written vertically. – Zhen Lin Aug 30 '13 at 22:27
    BTW, よ is derived from 与 and り from 利. This is general knowledge, so I don't have a source, though :( – execjosh Aug 31 '13 at 2:28

There are quite a few old (17th century) letters on this page which use the digraph ゟ as ligature of よ and り. For example see the fifth line from the left of the following letter, which reads 「家来之者方ゟ可申」.

ゟ

As @ZhenLin points out, it is not too far a stretch of your imagination that ゟ comes from joining よ and り in vertical writing. All that is really lost is the loop of the よ.

Could you point out where ゟ appears on that page? I'm not very good at reading calligraphic Japanese. – senshin Aug 31 '13 at 2:29
    @senshin: It is third character from the bottom of the fifth line from the left. 家来之者方ゟ可申 – execjosh Aug 31 '13 at 5:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.