I found this sentence as an answer to the question: "What are some of the symbols of Japan's wealth?"

次期主力戦闘機を何機も買おうとしていること

I'm not sure whether it means they're buying a lot of next-generation fighters, or none at all.

I think it's a bunkei I have yet to learn, and I can't find it in the textbook.

There is no relation here. It is simply 何機も followed by the form 〜(よ)うとする. The 何機も corresponds to the combat planes because planes are counted with . The 何 + counter + も pattern just means "several" or an undetermined amount of that thing. For example

• 食堂に生徒が何人もいます → There are several / There are a number of students in the cafeteria.

So your first translation is correct. "They will try/intend to purchase several combat planes next." (+ こと to answer the question).

Thank you so much! I didn't know about 何~も meaning "several", so I was in doubt because I thought it meant "none" and assumed it was a new bunkei. – fairchild Aug 15 '13 at 21:02

It's not as apparent in [ 食堂に生徒が何人もいます ]  but

in [ 次期主力戦闘機を何機も買おうとしていること ]

the implication is (as you said) that they're buying a lot of next-generation fighters -- the suggestion of "too many" or "many".

The "too many" sense is clear in the follwoing examples.

• そんなに何度も何度も 言わないで分かってるから   無残にも悲しい顔を ひとつすることもなくて 溶けて消えてゆく 染まって色づいてく綺麗な言葉ほど歪んでいて「もうほっといて ...

夜、何度もトイレに起きる男は早死にする!?       東洋経済オンライン-2016/08/30

夜間、何度もトイレに起きる男性が多いようですね。 統計によると日本人男性の場合、50歳以上になると、夜中に1回以上トイレに起きる人が半分以上を占めるとされます。さらに70歳以上では、1回以上トイレに起きる人が大半を占めるそうです ...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.