I recently read a quote from architect Sverre Fehn that stated:

"Japan has a word for finding the pleasantest point in an interior..."

I was wondering if anyone might know what this word is.

  • 3
    This is a great question. Just like visiting the place you read about in a travel journal, statements about foreign languages always sound so fascinating right up to the point when you actually understand the language.
    – Earthliŋ
    Jul 12, 2013 at 19:14
  • 1
    mmm... It's difficult. '味がある' comes to my mind. that is 慣用句.
    – fliedonion
    Jul 13, 2013 at 13:17

1 Answer 1


Best I can come up with is... 趣きがある (おもむきがある) Omomuki literally translates to 'Charming' on the internet. But that is too frank. It more means 'classy'. If you are talking about a room, it means the place in the room that gives it it's charm.

For example: このはしらはおもむきがある - this means 'this beam is charming' literally. But it means that the beam has a charming age that gives the room a good feeling.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .