I pretty much couldn't find this とこに in my dictionary so I was wondering what it means. Here's the context:


Also, is あんな a slang for あのな?

Edit. I forgot, my translation would be:

"The towel has fallen"

But yeah, I don't get the meaning of anna tokoni.


1 Answer 1


「とこ」is essentially an abbreviated way to say「ところ」.

「あんな」is actually part of the 「こんな」、「そんな」、「あんな」list of words... and it typically refers to "that kind of thing" (or in this case, "that type of place" or "there".)

As far as the translation goes, thanks for adding that to your question! Perhaps this phrase could also be translated as:

There's a towel on the ground over there.

  • thank you very much summea c: I didn't get that とこ was a verb I thought it was an adverb together with に. Everything is clear now thanks (:
    – Dai
    May 28, 2013 at 3:36
  • 2
    @Dai とこ is never a verb. In this case, it's a noun.
    – user1478
    May 28, 2013 at 3:44
  • 1
    @snailboat right とこ= floor in this case gha I just confused things thanks for telling me^^
    – Dai
    May 28, 2013 at 3:50
  • 4
    @Dai Although とこ can mean "floor" (in other usages) the actual word here for とこ is just a shortened version of ところ :)
    – summea
    May 28, 2013 at 4:02
  • 1
    @summea: I understand your use of italics on "over there" to imply "[you mean that kind of place,] over there [?/!]" but correct me if I am wrong.
    – Tim
    May 28, 2013 at 12:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .