I was corrected on Lang-8 website that I should write 楽しみ!or 楽しみにしています!instead of 楽しみに!. And I don't understand why.

Help please. 教えてくださいませんか。

• What made you think it might be right? – dainichi Mar 23 '13 at 14:34
  • At the end of anime episode they usually write 次回お楽しみに or つづく. – dimadesu Mar 23 '13 at 16:00

If you're talking about yourself you can't really use it that way. Ending it with に makes it sound like a kind of friendly request, like in お大事に. As such it sounds like you're telling someone "楽しみにしてください" because of the に ending. For yourself you just say 楽しみ or 楽しみにしています. Generally do not leave a に dangling by itself at the end to refer to your own feelings.

I'll piggyback off of Chocolate's beautiful comment for extra clarity:

• 楽しみです and 楽しみにしています represent the speaker's feelings as the subject of the sentence. So "I" am looking forward to something. This is shortened to 楽しみ in casual speech.
  • お楽しみに, on the other hand, is a shortened way of saying 楽しみにしていてください, addressed to someone, a way of telling someone to look forward to something. It has an imperative feel.
| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. That's quite interesting. But what makes 楽しみにしています different? – dimadesu Mar 23 '13 at 16:02
  • @dimadesu It's just a full sentence that removes ambiguity. お楽しみに is a way of saying 楽しみにしてください, so if you say just that then it will be interpreted that way and thus seem odd. – ssb Mar 24 '13 at 8:50
    @dimadesu 楽しみ! is the shortened form of 楽しみです, similar in meaning to 楽しみにしています. The subject for 楽しみです and 楽しみにしています is the speaker, ("I" am looking forward~~/私は○○が楽しみです/私は○○を楽しみにしています), whereas the subject in お楽しみに(+ね)! and 楽しみにしていてください is "you", the hearer(s), cos these are more like the imperative. – user1016 Mar 24 '13 at 14:39
  • @ssb:Chocolate's answer is worth adding to yours to make it complete. – Tim Mar 24 '13 at 14:50

I'm fairly certain 楽しみに is fine and they corrected it to that because it's just "the proper way" to say it. Japanese people do that a lot. If you say でしょ they'll likely correct it with でしょう etc. even though Japanese people will use でしょ more often than not.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.