When referring to a room (in a building), what is the difference in usage, if any?
I looked up the definitions and checked some sample phrases, but I could not see any real difference.
I usually read or use 部屋, but I came across this term [一室]{いっしつ} meaning "one room". So I am wondering what the difference is.


I think that 部屋 usually refers to a room in a house/apartment, where someone resides. 室 is somewhat broader and often refers to a room with a particular function.

This seems to be reflected in the names of the rooms in a house/apartment:

Rooms with a particular function

  • 寝室
  • 客室
  • 地下室

Rooms that are lived in

  • 子供部屋
  • 仕事部屋
  • おもちゃ[部屋]{べや} or 遊び部屋

In other buildings, too, special-purpose rooms usually end in [室]{しつ}, e.g. 事務室, 図書室, 洗濯室, 音楽室. (Also cf. 和室 "Japanese-style room".) Maybe that is just because 室, which is 音読み, sounds more formal than 部屋, which is 訓読み. For example, a public building won't have any 部屋, only rooms with a description (like 演奏室) or a number.

If your rooms are numbered, they are usually numbered as 132[号室]{ごうしつ}, but you usually count rooms as [一]{ひと}[部屋]{へや}, etc.

Note that 室 is a bit broader than the English "room". 132号室 could be a small apartment, consisting of several rooms. I think of 室 as anything that has one door from a hallway.

One last remark would be that I talked about the difference between 部屋 and 室 as suffix. But in conversational Japanese, I would say that 室 works almost exclusively as suffix (or prefix), whereas 部屋 is a word that can be used by itself to refer to a room. So if you want to say "I entered the room", or anything similar (i.e. without specifying which room), your choice will be limited to 部屋 (unless you want to sound literary).

  • You have removed the final edit so my comment does not apply but I will explain. I think 室/しつ is the old Japanese word for room and because it is so old it seems to have other wider meanings than just an alternative for 部屋
    – Tim
    Mar 10 '13 at 15:40
  • 2
    室 as しつ can also be a prefix, as in 室内, 室温etc., but you are right that it's almost exclusively used as a bound morpheme in modern Japanese. The kanji also has a kun-yomi むろ, but this is fairly archaic except for in certain fixed combinations.
    – dainichi
    Mar 11 '13 at 1:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.