To me, once of the most important parts of learning a language is the ability to read the implied message behind someone's words, and part of that is knowing when they're making a point and they're just shooting the breeze and explaining things. I know of a few, like から and ので, but does anyone have insight to offer, in this respect?

I think this question might be a little too broad. Basically you're just asking for a list of grammatical structures and phrases that indicate rhetoric. The best you'll get is a few examples rather than an exhaustive list which provides a full answer to your question, if such an answer is even possible. Have you tried looking through grammar references? – ssb Feb 23 '13 at 10:49
  • I have, and there are several volumes on the subject in my collection. I would also, however, like to add to my database, so I can gives others samples,so they can zero in specific points in what someone's saying, and form an appropriate response, in addition to getting the ball rolling on learning future structures – Roy Fuentes Feb 23 '13 at 11:24

I guess these might fit your description they are phrases you would say when arguing.

それで - and that's why...
だったら - If that's the case then...
かと言って - but even so...
強いて言えば - If I had to say...
となると - If that's the case then...
それにしても - Even so...
いずれにしても - In any case...
というわけで - In conclusion...

I know that these don't necessarily follow a general pattern, so it's worth mentioning a few more:

• つまるところ・つまり - In other words/to sum up
  • 要するに・と - basically/what you're trying to say is
  • 必ずしも〜というわけではない - It is not necessarily the case that ~
  • どちらにせ・何にしろ and all of the equivalent phrasings - Either way
  • あえて言えば - One could go so far as to say...

I agree that this question is probably too broad. But here are a couple examples I can think of off the top of my head.

• したがって
  • (した/という)結果で
  • なぜ(なら/かというと)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.