would 好きじゃねえな人 be grammatically correct for "people I don't like"? or does it have to be 嫌いな人?

2 Answers 2

好きじゃねえ人 without な works (this is not a な adjective) but is somewhat crude compared to 好きじゃない人

あい to ええ is a somewhat common sound change but it's associated with men speaking in very informal settings

• thank you, can you elaborate on why its crude?
    – towa
    Commented Jul 6 at 22:31
  • @towa Because the ~あい~ええ change for い adjectives is a very informal of speaking. You should never speak like this in situations where you need to convey politeness or seriousness. Commented Jul 7 at 5:45

I know this question was already answered but I was hoping to clarify some assumptions made in this example sentence to better explain why they are wrong.

Firstly, じゃねえ is a hypercasual form of ではない. This, in turn, is the negative phrase to である which literally means "to exist as...". This is the origin of the copula だ, which has the same meaning, but is used and translated the way we say "Is (something)".

I explain all this to now tell you that な, the particle that attaches adjectives to nouns, comes from the similar phrase にある meaning "To exist being...".

Both だ and な connect to adjectives the same way, and are considered by many to be the same phrase in different contexts; だ concludes phrases with na-adjectives, すきだ "it is liked"; while な joins the phrase to a noun, 好きな人 "a person who is liked".

The second thing I'll point out is that ない is an i-adjective. All i-adjectives inherently mean "To be" already. In this case ない means "To be nonexistent". Using だ or な is redundant after i-adjectives because it results in the phrasing;

ないだ "it is being that it is nonexistent".

People jump to the extreme conclusion that 'i-adjectives + だ' are ungrammatical, but that's not true either. It is grammatically correct, but never used because it sounds repetitive. This is proven by the fact that the polite form of だ, です, IS used after i-adjectives, as a tool to make them polite.

So, you do not need to connect 好きじゃねぇ to 人 using な. 好きじゃねぇな人 would sound like "a person who is being that which is not liked."

I understand what you're trying to add here, but it's really just being pedantic about details that aren't relevant to answering the question - and then getting those details mostly wrong. です being used after i-adjectives is a special case, resulting from them not having a more obvious polite form; and it wasn't always considered grammatical. i-adjective + だ is considered simply ungrammatical - の (or ん) is required as a linker, and then adding on to the i-adjective changes the meaning somewhat. And on the flip side of that, です is not used in relative clauses. Commented Jul 13 at 17:48
  • I suppose one could correctly say 好きじゃないにある人, if you were trying to make that point (and also explain that it's pointlessly wordy). Commented Jul 13 at 17:50
    It sounds like something chat gpt would write...
    – weeab00
    Commented Jul 13 at 18:39
  • I suppose I understand your confusion if we're looking at this from a prescriptivist point of view. When I say ungrammatical, I mean sentence structures that are syntactically and meaningfully invalid. I did not say that じゃないだ is grammatical and therefore correct. It's grammatical syntactically but morphologically redundant. の and です appear after i-adjectives because that structure is a syntactically valid phrase, and they introduce additional meaning. だ does not add meaning. It is not because some rule prevents you from putting them after i-adjectives. That's not how communication works.
    – user61944
    Commented Jul 13 at 19:21
  • It is true that な and だ developed as phonological contractions of にある and である, but your translations of these にある and である as "to exist being..." and "to exist as..." are wrong. Both にある and である simply mean "am/art/is/are". Besides 似{に} (Continuative form of 似{に}る), 二{に} etc., it makes sense to consider that Japanese language has 2 に and 2 で: 1. に and で which are forms of verb n-; 2. に and で particles (at least で particle developed from aforementioned で form of verb n-, it is possible that に particle also developed from aforementioned に form of verb n-).
    – Arfrever
    Commented Jul 14 at 6:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .