What is difference between this sentences? As per my understanding object becomes subject right?

• You might have meant ここ置いてください, instead of ここで.
    – aguijonazo
    May 17 at 0:19

1 Answer 1

No, 荷物 is not the subject in either of these sentences. The particle は is the topic marker, it doesn't have to mark the subject necessarily. In both cases, 置いてください is referring to the person being spoken to (and that is the subject).

In the first sentence, the emphasis is on 荷物. You could translate it as "Regarding the luggage, please put it here." The object is implied to be 荷物. The second sentence has no particular emphasis and simply means "Please put the luggage here." and in this case, 荷物 is marked as the object by を.

No, in both cases 荷物 is the object. Not sure I totally agree with that. Semantically, yes, that's true. But in the 荷物は sentence, I believe there technically is no object; it is implied (and we obviously know what it is).
    – istrasci
    May 15 at 18:16
  • Ah that is a good point, I guess you are right, let me modify my answer accordingly.
    – Saegusa
    May 15 at 18:22
  • 😂 I'm not entirely sure I'm right, either. I was hoping someone would confirm or refute my claim.
    – istrasci
    May 15 at 18:59
  • According to the last example of this answer, 荷物 would be the object in both cases, unless I misunderstood something. May 15 at 22:13
  • It is the object, but it is still implied.
    – Saegusa
    May 17 at 13:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .