I came across

昨日のハイドロなんたらとかいう怖い女の子だ

Which from an official translations means

Its that scary girl from yesterday called Hydro-glerpadoodle

Am I right in assuming that なんたら is a filler word for when you cant recall an exact name/word?

I tried googling but couldn't find anything about it

I don’t know if English is your first language, but in case it’s not, let me just add that “Hydro-glerpadoodle” is a really bizarre translation. Glerpadoodle is not a word, and it doesn’t conjure up images of a filler for ‘I can’t remember the actual name’. It conjures up images of being silly, derpy, playful and clumsy – a very odd pairing with the adjective ‘scary’. A more natural translation would have been “Hydro-whatsherface”, “Hydro-thingummy”, “Hydro-whatchamacallit” – or indeed just “Hydro-something”. May 14 at 9:48
  • haha yeah also through glerpadoodle was a bit weird. Its actually a fan translation so could be a non-native.
    – HNaam
    May 16 at 17:26

2 Answers 2

According to Jisho, my favorite Japanese dictionary, it is a filler word.

なんたらかんたら Expressions (phrases, clauses, etc.)

1. something or other; what-do-you-call-it; what-do-you-call-them​Onomatopoeic >or mimetic word Expressions (phrases, clauses, etc.)
  2. blah blah blah; yada yada yada​Onomatopoeic or mimetic word
  • Thank you. I always forget to look in the most obvious places..
    – HNaam
    May 14 at 6:00

It's a synonym of 何とかかんとか, which is abbreviated to なんとか. And your assumption is correct, you can use it to fill in when you don't recall the whole of a word, name, expression, etc.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .