I have been plagued with uncertainty as to whether my ears are hearing a phenomenon that doesn't exist or not. Double negative aside let me get to the point.

Sometimes I hear 明らか [2] and sometimes [3].

Sometimes I hear 賑やか [2] or [3]

Sometimes I hear ~られる\のか or ~られ\るのか for THE SAME VERB (heiban combing with の)

Sometimes I hear ちから\がない or ちか\らがない

There's two things I keep hearing:

1. something that should be odaka has its accent moved by one, like かが\み[鏡]に写ってる!
  2. something that is nakadaka has its nucleus moved by one おも\わなかった vs おもわ\なかった

Maybe this never happens and my ears lie. Maybe this is normal... Dunno. There is like NO information on this.

There are so many weird pitch things I've noticed that I've had no one to talk to with... Like how so many katakana words actually are pronounced a certain pitch accent but the dictionary doesn't say so.

あなたたち i hear as [2] or [3]
    – artum1s_
    Apr 2 at 7:20
    Did you mean おもわ\なかった vs おもわな\かった?
    – aguijonazo
    Apr 2 at 16:01
  • No no, I don't mishear it as a heiban verb. But sometimes when people say it fast it will sound like the nucleus moves 1 beat earlier (what I wrote).
    – artum1s_
    Apr 3 at 0:08
  • 明らか and にぎやか are not Odaka either way, are they? (I assume [n] refers to the nucleus at n-th mora from the end?) I feel that your question contains multiple phenomena of accent change.
    – sundowner
    Apr 3 at 0:38
    Basically I have almost no problem with hearing heiban and atamadaka problems, and haven't for at least a year. However sometimes when spoken fast I feel like odaka patterns shift slightly and same with nakadaka. Another example of a nakadaka pattern changing is ありがとう which i feel like tends to be more [3] than [2] pretty often. Especially ありがとね [3]. I think this is called 遅下がり
    – artum1s_
    Apr 3 at 1:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .