I came across the following sentence while watching the video "Japanese conversation with YUSUKE san YUYU NIHONGO (No1)", at the timestamp 16:05:

それは大阪のおばあちゃんはのぞくにならない

The context is the following: She was talking about how Japanese people care about dressing their age, and a 30 year old person would not dress in a colorful manner because otherwise people would look at them weird, and then he said the aforementioned quote. She laughs and says they're an exception. Based on that I can assume he is saying Osaka grandmas are an exception, but I don't know how にならない works here. I think the verb would be 除く since it would make sense. But I don't know what nuance does にならない add. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

• I assume you have difficulty hearing the difference between おばちゃん and おばあちゃん.
    – aguijonazo
    Mar 30 at 23:04

1 Answer 1

それは「大阪のおばちゃんは除く」にならない?

Doesn't it (=your statement) come with "Excluding Osakan obachan"?
Don't you say "Except for Osakan obachan" too?

• それ refers to her previous statement.

• Here "大阪のおばちゃんは除く" is treated as a quote. Note that he's saying おばちゃん (middle-aged woman, usu. 35–60), not おばあちゃん (grandma, usu. > 60).

• ~になる here is "to amount to", "to end up with", or "to (effectively) mean". You may already know this as part of ことになる.

This sentence is roughly the same as "大阪のおばちゃんは除くことにならない?", but here こと is not used because the "excluding ~" part is presented as an independent quote rather than a nominalized clause. The idea is that when someone states something like "a 30-year-old Japanese person would not dress in a colorful manner", they would usually be expected to add "Excluding Osakan obachan" as well. Of course, it's a joke.

• ならない is pronounced with rising intonation, so this ならない is a question.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .