Jisho gives no example sentences using this term. Is it now considered archaic, pejorative, provincial? Would one use it referring to oneself, to someone else?

2 Answers 2

It's kanji, but it's not Japanese. It's Chinese, meaning one's wife, and is often used to address the title of a married woman, just like 'Mrs.'. e.g. 陈(Chen)太太 is simply Mrs. Chen.

太太 now has a derivative meaning of "skilled artist", but only amongst Chinese Anime fandom. You probably saw someone using this in Pixiv's comment section or X. And interestingly, this word is gender-neutral if it's referring to an artist. A male artist could be referred to as "太太" by his fan.

• I saw it in Jisho.
    – NattoYum
    Mar 29 at 16:50
  • If you learn Japanese long enough, you will realize that it's common for you to find Chinese words in 辞书(Jisho). And if that word is strictly a Chinese word, it would be denoted '中国語'(Chinese) in Japanese Jisho. Just like you would find the word 'eureka' in almost all English dictionaries, but that word is strictly Greek.
    – Smokovsky
    Mar 30 at 6:18
  • Thank you! I will mark yours as the accepted answer because your comment above, more than your answer alone, makes sense.
    – NattoYum
    Mar 31 at 13:00

That is a Chinese word, both according to Jisho and Goo dictionary:

タイタイ【太太】
《(中国語)》奥様。夫人。

Not sure if pejorative; please refer to the Chinese SE. This word isn't used in Japanese with this meaning.

• If it is strictly a Chinese word, rather than one borrowed from China, why does Jisho include it?
    – NattoYum
    Mar 28 at 19:22
    @NattoYum Good question; sadly, I don't know why. Goo dictionary and Weblio also include it for whatever the reason. Mar 28 at 19:24
  • Wikipedia has an English language article about "Tai tai", but that doesn't mean the typical person will understand what you're talking about if you use it in English. I wouldn't be surprised if a large, comprehensive English dictionary had it as well.
    – Leebo
    Mar 29 at 2:58
    Why is it there? It looks like it sourced that entry from JMDict, which provides a (dubious) history: edrdg.org/jmwsgi/entr.py?svc=jmdict&sid=&q=2727430.1
    – Kaithar
    Mar 29 at 4:00
  • "These Chinese terms worry me." Me too, Jim Breen, me too... 😆️
    – YonKuma
    Mar 29 at 18:44

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .